Sunday, February 15, 2009

Korean Drama - The Iron Empress



I chanced upon this drama while channel surfing last night and ended up watching part of episode 8. I have always enjoy watching Korean historical drama and having a female character ruling the country and leading the war in the ancient period is an interesting plot in this drama. KBS World on Starhub channel 173 has been showing this drama every Saturday and Sunday, 8.40pm since January 2009. This drama has started airing in Korea since 3 January 2009 and has a total of 60 episodes. You may wish to give it a try if you are bored and looking for a good drama to watch.





The Iron Empress is the granddaughter of Wang Gun, the first emperor of Goryeo. Actress Chai Si Ra plays Empress Cheon Chu, a general who fights against the Georan tribe of Manchuria to fulfill her dreams of reclaiming the lost land of the Goryeo Dynasty (918-1392), and her heroics have translated into a ratings bonanza. Empress Cheon Chu has inherited her grandfather´s vision as well as his Great Spirit. The empress fights against the enemies trying to collapse Goryeo, and called as ‘The Iron Empress’ who gets rid of her brother, son, and even her lover, for the good of the empire. During the Goryeo period, women had the firm statue and their power was high as that of men. Introducing the legendary heroine, ‘The Iron Empress’ would bring hopes and dreams to the women living in this era.





The drama is not all blood and thunder, though. The Empress has a romance with Kim Chi-yang (Kim Seok-hun), a descendant of the Silla royal family, who seduces the Empress for the sake of territorial gain but then goes and falls in love with her.The love/hate relationship ends only in catastrophe. The Empress also dallies with Kangjo (Choi Jae-seong), her bodyguard who follows her around like a shadow.

7 comments:

Christianne said...

I am not even Korean and I love this show. I started watching it I think at the end of June. I am in Long Island. So it is on channel 18. I only discovered it because now we have Fios tv so we get all the channels.
Let me know if there are other asian dramas with English subtitles.
Thanks
Christianne

Anonymous said...

The costumes/hairdos look like copies of those in ancient Chinese historical dramas.

Anonymous said...

there are plenty of english subbed korean dramas! heheh how else would i watch them?? and yes, i was thinking that the costuming looks so similar to chinese dramas. asian cultures evolved together, i think that this particular drama has some ties to china..i watched and it mentioned liao (khitan), song china..

yolanda said...

I just finish watching the iron empress it was so good that it made me cry i would love to visit where this all happen, korean is a beautiful country from what i see on tv and books i would love to visit it in person.

Unknown said...

I happened to catch this one night while channel-surfing. Seeing it had English subtitles, I started to watch it. I've gotten hooked on it.

Anonymous said...

hi
not sure when my husband and I got hooked on it, the empress and foreman kim had just been captured by the Khitans. We love it. And I am so sad that it is almost over. But maybe we will watch the earlier episodes. The actresses are amazing. I still get chills and almost start crying when I think about Saila (and every time she cried)

Anonymous said...

I found this program by accident while I was recuperating from surgeru...I am not even Korean! What a beautiful story! The music was incredible! I couldn't believe how I cried when Gang Jo was killed....! The actors and actresses brought this story to life and I experienced the history and beauty of another culture...Thank you!