I came across this healthy and easy to prepare recipe while reading WeightWatchers Magazine May 2008 issue and plans to try it out next week. For those who are interested, you can also try it :> Do take note that you can leave out the chilli if its too spicy. This recipe is milk free and nut free and contains 468 calories per serving. It takes about 15 minutes to prepare and 20 minutes to cook and serves 4.
- 300g skinless chicken breast, sliced finely
- zest & juice of half a lemon
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 25g pack of fresh basil, shredded
- 300g dried wholemeal penne pasta
- low fat cooking spray
(For the pasta sauce)
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- good pinch crushed dried chilli flakes
- 250g ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp tomato puree
1) Marinate the chicken slices in the lemon zest and juice, crushed garlic and half of the basil. Season well and set to one side. Cook the penne pasta according to pack instructions until tender. Drain and keep warm.
2) Heat a large nonstick frying pan, mist with low fat spray and add the chicken. Cook over a medium-high heat for 5 minutes until cooked through. Remove with a slotted spoon and set to one side.
3) To make the sauce, mist the frying pan with a little more spray, add the onion and cook for 5 minutes, adding water to prevent it burning if necessary. Add the garlic and chilli and cook for 2 minutes, then add the tomatoes and puree with 150ml water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
4) Add the chicken and pasta to the sauce, season to taste and heat through for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the remaining basil and serve.