Thursday, January 10, 2008

Qiong Yao-Dreams Link

I spent about 3 days watching this drama and it has been a long time since i last watched a Qiong Yao drama. Some of my friends couldn't believe that i would actually want to watch Qiong Yao's drama when i shown them the dvd set as it is known for its weepy scenes but i realise that i'm also a sucker for such show hehe... I used to enjoy watching dramas based on Qiong Yao's novels when i was a kid. Almost forgotten the enjoyment ;>


Back to this drama, it is a remake of the popular Qiong Yao story 一帘幽梦 and i can't recall whether i had watched the old version but i really like this current version. Most of the filming took place in Shanghai, China. Some of the scenes were also shot on location in Paris, France. The main character of the drama is Zi Ling (Zhang Jia Ni) who is a dreamer. She has always been overshadowed by her perfect older sister Lu Ping (Qin Lan) who is a dancer and owns her own dance company. For a long time, Zi Ling has been secretly been in love with Chu Lian (Bao Jian Feng), who also happens to be Lu Ping's boyfriend.


As Lu Ping is busy fulfilling her own dream of becoming a successful professional dancer, she has little time for Chu Lian. Chu Lian finds himself being attracted to Zi Ling as they spend alot of time together and chatting online. Conflict arises when Chu Lian realizes that the one he truly loves is Zi Ling. An unfortunate car accident (Lu Ping had to amputate one of her legs) forces a guilt-ridden Chu Lian to enter into an unhappy marriage with Lu Ping, but he is unable to forget Zi Ling.


Now appears my favourite character of the drama :>, Fei Yun Fan (Alex Fong) is a mysterious, wealthy, and much older man who loves Zi Ling with all his heart. Hoping to move on with her life and escape from her love for Chu Lian and guilt towards Lu Ping, Zi Ling accepted Yun Fan's marriage proposal and they moved to France. This is my favourite part of the drama as i enjoy seeing all the beautiful scenery of France and how Yun Fan's selfless love for Zi Ling gradually touches her heart. I was glad that she finally reciprocates his love and affection in the final episode.


Although i really enjoy the drama, 46 episodes was abit too much and i find myself skipping through some parts about Lu Ping and Chu Lian's married life as it was too painful to watch. With the exception of Qin Lan, who was in Princess Returning Pearl III, this is the other 3 leads' first time acting in a Qiong Yao production. I was really impressed with Qin Lan's acting as she did a really great job acting Lu Ping as it was quite creepy watching her torturing Chu Lian and plotting against everyone. Zhang Jia Ning makes her television drama debut after winning the "Finding Zi Ling" nationwide contest and i feel that she is perfect for the role of Zi Ling and i enjoy seeing her acting with Alex Fong who is one of my favourite Hong Kong actors. It has been a long time since i watched his dramas. He was so cute and suave in his role as Yun Fan and it was because of him that i watched the drama initially. I managed to find a picture book about the drama from the library today and am looking forward to reading more about the drama.


The four lead characters


My favourite pictures of Zi Ling and Yun Fan in Paris








12 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, i'm from singapore and i luv this show too! at which ibrary did u find the picture bk of this drama?

Janice said...

Hi i borrowed the book from Sembawang Library. You can also purchase the book at PAGEONE bookstore at Vivocity (under Chinese Section) 1 Harbourfront Walk #02-41/42,for only $13.16. You may wish to call PAGEONE at tel: 6272 0822 to check if they still have stock before going down as there was only 1 book left when i bought it awhile ago.

Tram said...

just wanted to share the same feeling with you about this drama. I have to the same thought of why should I watch this drama. It's because Alex is in the drama. I haven't watch Taiwanese dramas for so long already. Basically because I'm a TVB fan. Last time I saw Alex on screen was Split Second in 2004 but I didn't like that serie of TVB. After I watch him in the Building Blocks of Life with Tavia, I went crazy and searching for all the film he's in. I'm glad he deserve what he gave in for 2 years :] I cried a lot for every dramas of Qiong Yao..except Princess Pearl :-D

cel said...

hihi!! I fell madly in love with this serial too!!! since young, I've been watching qiong yao show. I love fei yun fan best among the books written by her, Zi Lin is very cute inside...

And not forgetting, the beautiful and romantic sceneries in the show. Fell in love with Provence, I wld so much want to visit it in this year :)

Anonymous said...

Indeed!! nice story, nice scenary, nice songs, good cast n touching scenes!

I liked how fei yunfan loved ziling wif all his heart.afterall, he knew tat ziling loved chulian. its simply remarkable. wonder if there r guys like him ard... rich, charismatic, romantic, gentle n extrmely sensitive...

can i ask sumting? is dreams link meant 2 be a different story from the 1996 "behind a pearly curtain"or "ÿi lian you meng"?

i liked e 1996 version as well .... lin ruiyang portrayed chulian very well. extremely touching show too.

Janice said...

Hi,

i recall reading somewhere that the story is quite similiar to the first version but Qiong Yao has made some changes so that the plot is relevant to current context like changing the occupation of Ziling to being a blogger whereas in the first version, Ziling was a writer. I cannot remember more details about the first version so can't really make a comparision :>

Anonymous said...

Hi.. i love this movie so much... do u know where is the provence in france where the movie take palce?? thank u

Anonymous said...

hey lady Jan, my bf create a dreams link website for me when he is going after me. I am really crazy with this movie as well. check out my website k.Hope u like it.
is www.smallgold.net

Janice said...

Hi Smallgold

your website is real pretty and i'm sure fellow fans of the drama would also like it like i did. thanks for sharing it here :>

Linda Nguyen said...

I really love this serie and I really love Alex Fong too =D. 46 episodes were not enough for me, I would like to watch more & more ^^.

I made a site for Dreams Link TV serie:
http://www.dreams-link.webs.com/

Unknown said...

Can i buy your book ??? I really really need it for my class project. Anyprice u want. Plz let me buy yours

Anonymous said...

I love that movie...especially ziling's fashion...her wedding dress