Sunday, December 23, 2007

About Perfume


I'm a perfume lover and i always believes that perfumes evoke feelings, emotions and memories like music. I have always wonder about the difference between the difference terms of perfumes like what is Eau De Toilette and isn't it all the same ?? I finally found my answers while reading the December 2007 edition of "Simply Her" magazine. I have included the answers below for those interested :>



I have different types of perfumes (floral, citrus and oriental & woody) and wears it according to my moods. I particularly likes my RUMEUR perfume by LAVIN and Forever and ever Dior perfume. I'm also tempted to buy the Burberry brit sheer eau de toilette as i like the scent which contains of mandarin orange, peony, peach blossom, sweet pea and creamy amyris wood. I would wait till i go for holiday next year so that i can buy it cheaper at the airport.




I also found some useful tips from the magazine like to prolong the life of your perfume, you should put it in a ziplock bag and stick it in the fridge. Stored properly, perfumes should last up to 2 years. However i don't think my hubby would be pleased to find all my perfumes in the fridge hehe can imagine he would banish all my perfumes if i do that as he does not like a messy and packed fridge. I'm not sure if the tip really makes a difference to the lifespan of perfumes, whoever tries please drop me a note if it really works :>


Another tip is when testing a scent, spray on skin and wait 10 minutes for the fragrance notes to react with your body temperature and skin chemistry. Smelling from a blotter strip isn't accurate. However whenever i buy perfume the salesperson would just give me the blotter strip and expect me to decide on the spot. They should be the expert and should have advised me to maybe shop around for awhile before deciding as the scent would change overtime.


Whats the Difference?


Parfum - 15-30% essential oils. The most concentrated and hence, the most expensive. A little goes a long way.



Eau De Parfum - 8-15% essential oils. The most common and affordable as it's not as intense.


Eau De Toilette - 4-8% essential oils. The lower concentration means you get a subtle, but not long, lasting scent.


Eau De Cologne - 2-5% essential oils. The lightest of the lot, these scents don't last long.



No comments: